Mexican food has been referred to as the comfort food of the Americas. I always find myself thinking I wish I had some guacamole to eat with my chips right now, or I could really eat a quesadilla with plenty of oozing cheese, but it can sometimes be intimidating to attempt a cuisine that let’s face it I have no personal experience with. Tonight, in celebration of the upcoming festivities of Cinco de Mayo, I decided to make a whole wheat wrap filled with cayenne-rubbed chicken, melted pepper jack cheese, homemade pico de gallo and guacamole. It definitely satisfying and satisfied my recent cravings. Best of all, I combined numerous recipes found from cookbook research to develop a delicious, tasty, and quick recipe that any beginner cook can do. Be ready to dive into this refreshing, light, and healthy wrap that you will absolutely make multiple times over this summer.
Cinco de Mayo Wrap
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 2 limes
- Black pepper
Pico de Gallo Ingredients:
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 large tomato
Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Dried cilantro
- McCormick Perfect Pinch Original All-Purpose Salt-Free Seasoning
- Whole wheat wraps
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Romaine hearts
- Slice the chicken breast into one-inch thick strips and season with all seasonings listed above.
- On a non-stick pan over medium heat, cook chicken strips approximately 2-3 minutes per side until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Take chicken off the heat and sprinkle shredded cheese over warm chicken to allow the cheese to melt.
- Place chicken and cheese in the center of a slightly warmed wrap. Place the romaine hearts on top of the chicken.
- In a bowl, combine avocados, the juice of limes, finely chopped shallot, finely chopped jalapeño (remove seeds and ribs), chopped cilantro, corn, and black pepper. Make sure the avocados are mashed quite well or else the guacamole will be quite chunky and the flavours of all the ingredients will not meld.
- Put the guacamole on top of the lettuce in the wrap.
- In another small bowl, combine diced red pepper and tomato. Be sure to include all seeds and juice from the tomato as this will enhance the sandwich.
- After briefly mixing the pico de gallo, spoon mixture on top of the guacamole.
- To close wrap, fold in the two small sides and then fold one large edge over and roll the wrap closed. This process is similar to how to fold a burrito and if further instructions are required, please search on the Internet.
- Slice the wrap in half and enjoy!