Cookies I always find myself buying at the grocery store are iced oatmeal cookies, but I am constantly disappointed that these cookies are not soft, instead they are hard and super crunchy. Additionally, the icing tends to be super sweet, so I finally decided to make up my own recipe and these cookies come out soft, but not overly plump and the icing delicately flows over the top of the cookie hardening in an ideal manner. These cookies are perfect to enjoy anytime of year!
Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
1. Cream together the butter and sugar for the cookies.
2. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla extract.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a separate bowl and then gradually add to creamed mixture.
4. Stir in the oats.
5. Drop cookie batter by the teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-7 minutes.
7. Mix together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth while the cookies bake.
8. Cool the cookies for about a minute on a wire wrack and then ice the cookies with the powdered sugar glaze. Make sure that the cookies are still warm so the icing spread over the top of the cookies. Allow the cookies further cooling time and the icing will harden.